Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cook the Books- White on White Cake


Several months ago, I found a food blog that combined two of my passions, reading and cooking.  The blog is Cook the Books.  Each month one of the hosts, Rachel, Debbie or Jo chooses a novel that is entwined with food.  Those that choose to participate read the book, cook something inspired by the book and then blog about it. 

                                   


This is a heart-warming story about a group of people that come together on Monday nights for a cooking class at Lillian's restaurant. Through cooking, food and each other, these individuals find passion, hope and friendship.

The characters and story made me feel many different emotions as I was reading.  The most prevalent emotion was envy.  I know, crazy right?  Well, I would love to have an opportunity like these characters had.  A cooking class by a professional chef and restaurant owner. Wow!  I have taken one cooking class before (one night only) with my sister in law and it was such a great experience that I will remember forever.  I still make the recipes I learned from that evening. 

One of these days..........

Maybe some day I will win the lottery, quit my job and go to culinary school.  Who knows?  Big dreams....

So, my contribution to this month's Cook the Books is a White on White cake.  I loved the way the author described the cake and all of its simplicity in the story.  To tell you the truth, I had trouble with this simplicity when I was making the cake.  When I bake, I like to go "all out".  If I'm going to bake something this unhealthy then it's going to be full of vibrant flavors and ingredients.  I wanted to put lemon curd between the layers.  I wanted to add something because it was just going to be white and vanilla flavored.  Sounded pretty boring to me.  Needless to say, I restrained myself so it stayed true to the white cake with white icing as in the story.  I did add some lime extract to the icing, though. I needed some more flavor.  I know...I'm weak.  That's okay.  It turned out incredible.  and beautiful! 


The recipes come from Cake Love by Warren Brown.  The cake is a white butter cake and the icing is an Italian Meringue Buttercream.  I will be posting the recipes in a couple days.  We decided to take a last minute road trip to St. Louis this weekend so I will be adding the recipes when I get back. 



14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made the White Cake, for that particularly poignant chapter in our Cook the Books novel. Welcome to our little band of foodie readers! Look for the roundup in the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! So elegant. What a nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks lovely! And I think the lime is a wonderful additional. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful addition, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's beautiful! What a fabulous choice...simple, yet complex...and oh, so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm white on white cake is my favorite! Your frosting job is perfect! What's your secret???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Cook the Books--we are so happy you joined us. Gorgeous cake--that frosting looks especially wonderful. I love that you added a bit of lime to the frosting--that could only enhance it. Great pick!

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome fellow Food Junkie! The cake looks delish and so typically American. I hope you had a nice time at St. Louis. I have heard that it is a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a gorgeous cake! I like the hint of lime in it. And I've been hearing such great things about the book. Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The truth is that should you buy your own Plus Size Dresses from the dodgy supply, you're going for a risk. Chances are it will likely be okay, but if you are going to buy the down jackets, a minimum of avoid the greater suspect ways of doing this. You just have no idea what you are getting, and there isn't any catier pendents protection or even recourse for those who have an issue. Be ready for the truth that your replica rolex datejust watches might be average to low quality, and there is not probably being much that you can do about this.

    ReplyDelete